Messiah Lutheran Church
Photos and Videos
- HoursOPEN NOW
- Regular Hours:
Mon - Fri Sat Closed - Phones:
Main - 773-725-8903
Fax - 773-202-7671
ExtraTollFree - 888-708-5267
Extra - 773-736-6600
- Address:
- 6201 W Patterson Ave Chicago, IL 60634
- Link:
- Categories
- Lutheran Churches, Churches & Places of Worship
- Payment Options
- Neighborhoods
- Northwest Side, Portage Park
- AKA
Messiah Lutheran School
- Other Information
Parking: Lot, Free
Wheelchair Accessible: Yes
General Info
In 1924, the Northern Illinois District of the Missouri Synod canvassed the Dunning Park neighborhood of Chicago to determine whether there were enough Lutherans residing in the area to warrant a new Lutheran Church. Response indicated that there was and the wheels were set in motion to form a Mission. On October 24, 1924, letters were sent to Lutherans in the area, inviting them to attend Sunday Services at the new Mission. On October 26th, the first service was held in the community hall, on nearby Addison Street -- the home of the Dunning Park Improvement Club. Rev. Theodore L. Blanken led nine adults and four children in the first worship service. With increased interest in the Mission, a congregation was formed on February 8, 1925. At that time the congregation decided to call Rev. Blanken as Pastor. It became immediately obvious that a formal church building was necessary to properly accommodate the growing congregation. On August 29, 1926 the first permanent chapel and day school were dedicated on the site of our present school.